So lately I've been under the impression that to be an architect, you have to be passionate about architecture. If you aren't... you'll never make it. (No people aren't telling me this in so many words, it's just a hunch... just what I've inferred). So here I am... wanting to be an architect, but not really feeling passionate about architecture. There are so many architectects out there! I don't know the famous ones, and I probably should. There are so many amazing buildings out there! I should probably be able to pick out which ones are which, and who they were made by! But, I can't. So I wonder: am I cut out for this job?
But as I have pondered this question, I've come to realize my passion. Now, I've always known it subconsciously, but only recently have I begun to understand it, to be able to put it into words. At church a while back, we were asked to write a word on our hand, a word we believed described our purpose in life. For example, Matt, the worship leader who was leading the exercise, said his word was "bridge" because he felt that his calling was to bridge the racial barriers within the church and surrounding areas of his life. After some contemplation, I chose my word. Home.
And then the other day I googled residential architecture firms in Colorado, that would be close to home. I was surprised by the results, for there are quite a few. I had always thought I would have to start out with commercial buildings to gain experience, and then switch to residential later on... but I don't necessarily have to. I could go straight to residential if given the opportunity!
So these instances have reminded me of my word. Home! I'm finding out that this is my passion. My dreams have always been to design custom homes for people. Not only that, but I want to design homes for people in Tanzania and give them away so they don't have to pay an outrageous rent with money they don't have! I want to design my own home to have tons of rooms so that I can let people live with me when they need a place to stay, so they can have a place of their own to get back on their feet. However, a home is not just about a building. It is about the people inside the building. It is a shelter, a place where memories are made, where families exist. Family is extremely important to me, and being blessed with the amazing family I have has made me so aware of other's need for a family like mine. My passion is for family, for homes.
It has been fun, and often a battle, to go through these days at school trying to figure out my future. But with each day I am realizing and working hard to accept that I don't need to be the best architect out there. I don't need to be remembered for my building designs, but I want my legacy to be in the relationships I have with clients, that they can see Christ through my work, and be able to have a home filled with His love. I am extremely glad that God knows my purpose and future, and that He will guide my steps and never leave my side as I seek to do His will. He gave me these dreams, and ignited this passion for Him and home!
No comments:
Post a Comment