Last summer was the time for experiments. I gained some experience and knowledge in the art of applying for jobs. So this summer, I was ready for it. As soon as I got home, I hit the applications hard. I applied to over fifteen places I'm sure- can't remember exactly, I lost count- but they took hours to complete. And then the waiting game followed.
Online applications really give you no hope. How in the world will I ever be distinguished from someone else? I have no experience other than babysitting... and I need the experience to get a job, but I can't get the experience without the job. It is a wonderful trap to be in.
So I followed up quite a few places with phone calls, e-mail, even a few visits. I tried to make myself known. Nothing came of it. I actually felt like I was the bad guy. You know how customers are always right, and employees go out of their way to make the customer feel special? Well, tables turn if you are looking to be an employee- in my opinion. Usually I didn't get very friendly, or helpful people telling me there was nothing available. Didn't make me feel very good!
grrrrr. It's hard!
Then there is babysitting. Those jobs are handed to me all the time, no effort on my part. I'm very wanted when it comes to child care. And I do make pretty good money doing it. I just wanted some new experience! Is that too much to ask for?
But, overall, I want to do what God wants me to do. So I've been thinking. Why do I need experience operating a cash register if I want to be an architect? Yes, new experiences are fun, and I really wanted more interactions with people outside my home, in the work place. But I know I am a blessing to so many families because I can provide their children someone who loves them, and can do a great job taking care of them. I've enjoyed seeing the work God does in these kids lives through me, and often the parents as well. I like to think I have an impact on these families- perhaps in a deeper way than I would get to in other situations. And it's fun! I love kids, and it is a great job that I am very thankful for.
So I want to be ok with it. I want it to be good enough. I think God didn't want me to get a job, so that I could take care of kids when they need it. At least that's what I'm going with :)
I'm thankful for the income, the flexible hours... and I'm not going to worry about a job or money, because God will provide!
The end.
:)
No comments:
Post a Comment