Thursday, March 18, 2010

Critique!!

I was worried.
VERY worried.
I know I shouldn't be, because worry is a sin. It says, "God you are not big enough to take care of me, so I am going to fret over what is to come." I really struggle with that. God Always takes care of me! He holds my future in my hands! I laugh at myself every time I remember that... because somehow I always seem to forget again.

Today I managed to stay awake in all my classes. I have this weekend to get the boat load of work I have to do, so I feel pretty good about it. Also today was my design critique. Now, that was the scary part. This was our midterm. "The Big One". My designs didn't start out very good at all for this project, but eventually I came up with a pretty good idea that I am very proud of. The thing is... I had to re-make my study model which meant that I was a little further behind than other students. I worked as hard as I could, and put in long hours in studio, but all the time I spent didn't seem to do much. I was progressing very slowly. Before I left for home, I almost had my model done... but I still had all my drawings to do. So that was a heavy weight on my mind all through spring break. I knew coming back would mean no sleep trying to finish on time and I was not looking forward to that at all. But I came back anyway! =) My plane was delayed about 2 and a half hours, and by the time I finally made it back (and lost 2 hours because of daylight savings...) it was around 10 pm. I was totally overwhelmed being back at school (and still mad about those people on the plane who stole my window seat... NO I didn't ask them to move...) but my friend convinced me to go to studio anyways. We got there, and it was locked! Too bad... so sad... guess I should just go to bed! SO I did! (Found out later, all you have to do is pull really hard and the door opens... oops...) Because I got to go to bed so early, I was able to wake up early! Well, sort of. 9:30 ish is pretty early! But it was the beginning of a VERY long day. over 24 hours in studio because for some odd reason it wasn't closed (yes I ate some food, but no I didn't get any sleep). I was very upset because my project was not as perfect as I wanted it to be; but there was no way I had enough time to get it up to my standards. So after talking things through with my parents, and understanding I did all I could (thanks mom and dad!) I finished and turned my work in about 2 hours before it was due.

Which brings me back to today. I don't like giving presentations. I didn't prepare very much, but I memorized a little speech to give for my work, hung it up and set down my model. I was nervous, but as my turn came, I actually liked my design, my model didn't look bad at all, and my drawings were pretty nice too! So I gave my speech as confidently as I could, and then gritted my teeth through critique. It wasn't bad at all! The guest professor told me what I needed to think about when designing, made some other points, complimented my drawings (NO WAY!!!) and that was all! Thank-you God!! I was so happy I couldn't stop smiling, or pinching myself to see if it was real! (ok, not really pinching, but seriously! Critiques are a huge big deal!) I wanted to hug somebody and squeeze them so hard... but I had to sit down and give a critique for the presenter after me instead =) OH well!

I am constantly amazed at how good God really is! I have nothing to fear, because He is in control. I know life would be insane if I were in control! Don't worry about me... I am taking plenty of time to stop and smell the roses and see the beauty in these beautiful warm days He is giving!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! College midterms and stuff are really scary, but it sounds like you did an awesome job on that project! And I am glad that you appreciate just how much God is taking care of us in this crazy time in life =)

    ReplyDelete