Sunday, September 16, 2012

Dance With God

I dance with God
The best in the world,
And He chose me
His Cherished daughter,
To be His partner.

The spotlight never leaves Him
All eyes are upon Him
And upon me, His child

But suddenly I notice a
New man across the room.
He is dreamy-
He seems to be perfect for me.

I'm distracted now.
As I spin and sway to the beat
My eyes wander to the man,
Away from my Maker.

I'm curious now.
I tell my Father I'll be right back.

He stops the dance,
Holds my hand
As long as He can
Before I am too far
Out of reach.

I weave through the crowd,
In the dim light,
Away from the spotlight.
I find the man.

He is talking.
I step forward, hoping he will notice me.

I twirl.
I have his attention now.
He smiles. I smile.
I walk over to a group of people,
Begin to flirt with a guy.

I glance over my shoulder.
The man is jealous.
He wants me,
I can tell.

I go to get a drink.
He follows me.
He says hello.
I say hello.

He kisses my hand
We chat, he whispers in my ear,
Telling me things I want to hear.
Then...
He kisses me.

STOP!
This isn't what I wanted!
Suddenly I realize what I have done.

This wasn't supposed to happen.
I run away,
Head towards the spotlight,
Where my Father waits for me.

He knows.
With tears in His eyes
He gathers me into His arms,
The mess that I am.
He calms my worried spirit.
He holds my shivering form tight.

This is how it is supposed to be.
Me, dancing with my Father.

All eyes are on us.
We dance
Without a care in the world.

I love Him,
And He loves me.

A man catches my eye.
He is charming,
Attractive.
I get distracted
I watch him,
Taking my eyes
Away from my Maker.

But I know how this ends.
If only I could remember the outcome,
If only I learned more quickly.

Why do I take matters into my own hands?
Do I not trust my Father?
Why do I look, when He already has someone
Picked out for me?

Yet I find myself
Looking through the crowd
For him.
The one.
Where is he?

Dancing with God should be my priority.
But I  can't seem to keep it number one.

Yet I keep trying.
Every day a battle.
One that I will win.

And... eventually...
I feel a tap on my shoulder.
We stop the dance.
I turn to see who it is.

A man stands before me.
More than anything I've
Ever imagined.
He bows before my Father,
Asks Him a question.

My Father smiles,
Throws His head back
In joyous laughter.

Gently,
My Father places my hand
In the hand of the man.

This is good.
This is right.
This is what I've been waiting for
My whole life.

God always knows best.
He always provides.
He loves blessing his children.
His timing is perfect.

Dear Heart,
Always remember:
Dance with God and
He will let the perfect man cut in.

******

Wow, it feels like it's been forever since I've written a post! So I thought I would share a little writing I did today. This is only a rough draft of something I threw together pretty quickly! I had fun writing it though. It is inspired from the quote "Dance with God and he will let the perfect man cut in." I've been thinking about that quote a lot lately, and I just love the imagery it brings to mind. So now you can see exactly what I've been imagining! This is completely metaphorical... no actual events :) Though the underlying symbolism is definitely part of my life. I hope it can encourage all my friends who are dealing with the struggles of singleness! And perhaps someday I will edit it, and make it better!
I'd love to know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment