Monday, April 12, 2010

Day One

It is the first day of undertaking this Celebration of Hope Challenge, and I have already learned many things.
First, America has food EVERYWHERE, ALL THE TIME. Everywhere I look I find something I want to eat. It really takes discipline and self control to be able to resist eating! Friends come up to share some food with me and ask, "do you want some"? YES! I really do want some! Especially candy. I really want candy.
But I respond, "The poor children in Africa rarely get candy!"
And it is so true! I eat candy nearly everyday, and usually it is not just one piece. I have so many options of food and drink around me all the time, and half of the world's population doesn't even know if they get to eat at all. Some of the people I eat with have huge quantities of food at every meal, and then get more after they finish the first two plates. That is rather disgusting to me right now. No offense to the big eaters out there... but honestly, why do we eat so much food? Food is eaten to give you energy and keep you alive; we do not need to eat so much excess.

Secondly, I have begun to realize how terrible it can be when you finish eating a meal, but are still hungry. Yes, I just ate dinner, rice, beans, and some corn and a small piece of chicken.... but I am still hungry. Very hungry. I am sure people living in poverty are used to the tight pain in their stomach from it being empty all the time, but it is horrible! I would not like living with constant hunger, even if I could get used to it.

I have actually started making excuses, saying that this week is a bad week to do this challenge because I have so much work to do, am not feeling very well, and will not be getting very much sleep. Maybe I should just do it another week. But then again... Do impoverished people get to choose when they get to eat, or not eat? Do they choose to eat because they are sick or have work to do? No. They don't get any choice at all. So I am determined to carry out what I have started. My friend Emily is doing this challenge with me, and it is very good to have an accountability partner. Many people have asked at lunch what we are doing, so it is also good to raise awareness. It is tough though!

I would love the continued prayers... but more so, pray for those who actually live off so little food. Pray for those who don't make enough money to stay healthy and nourished.
Pray for God's children.

No comments:

Post a Comment